Day 15 [9th June]: Sapporo

I started my day by making my way to Nijo Market for my late breakfast. Along the way, I passed by the lovely Tokeidai (aka Sapporo Clock Tower) and also Sapporo TV Tower.

 

At the market, the sight of all the seafood, especially the amount and variety of crabs, amazed me. And the king cras sure look gigantic. I had my breakfast at Kondounoboru (近藤昇商店) and realised thta had a promotion where you get a piece of sushi for free when u 'like' their Facebook fan page and show it to them. Since I had a working mobile internet connection, I did just that and chose a piece of nigiri sushi from the menu. As my main course, I ordered 三色井 (3 kinds of seafood in a rice bowl) and chose the one that has raw scallop, boiled crab and raw salmon. It also came with a bowl of crab soup. The meal was really very delicious. After paying the bill, the owner also helped me to take some photos of me holding a king crab.


After breakfast, I headed for the subway station. But I was tempted when one of the fishmongers keep tempting me with a nice deal of just ¥2,000 for a whole piece of hairy crab (毛蟹 kegani). After some little commotion due to language issues, they figured out that I hoped to eat in their shop instead of bringing it back to hotel. After seeing them trying to clear space on their desk, I figured they actually don't usually have customers who dine in the shop. It was such a nice gesture for them to cater to my request. They also helped me to cut the crab and served the crab to me with utensils and tissue papers. Actually, I surprised myself that I was tempted and also managed to finish the whole crab even though I already had breakfast. And it was certainly worth it cos the crab tastes amazing and the price of the crab would have been at least twice/thrice the cost in Singapore.


From the subway station, I bought the 1 day subway+tram pass at ¥1,000 and took the subway to Shin Sapporo Station. Actually, it's not worthwhile to buy subway+tram pass since the tram only covers the city center area and each tram ride costs ¥170. So, it's actually more worthwhile to buy just the subway pass at just ¥500.



At Shin Sapporo Station, I took bus 11 at bay 10 to go to Kaitaku no Mura. After about 15 minutes of bus ride, I reached my destination and was greeted by a beautiful preserved building that is at the entrance of the historical village. I bought the combo pass ticket that includes visit to the nearby Historical Museum of Hokkaido at the price of ¥1,000 and spent about 3 hours inside the Historical Village. The open-air museum is definitely worth a visit for tourists to Sapporo. The preserved buildings are all so beautiful and some of them seem somewhat Europe-influenced. As my visit was somewhat during noon time, I took a break during my visit for a simple bowl of soba for a late lunch. Surprisingly, it was pretty good tasting though it's just soup, noodles and egg. At the end of my visit, I also tried soft cream ice-cream and loved it.


Next, I headed to the Historical Museum which was about 15 minutes walk away.


After the museum visits, I went back to city centre area and then to Sapporo Factory in the evening. The weather seemed a little colder with temperature at 15°C and breezes. As it was slightly below what I could bear, I had to wear a light jacket when I was outdoors. Over in Sapporo Factory, I managed to locate the brewery but it seems it was already past the opening hours. I continued walking around in the shopping mall and then to the restaurants area to look for dinner. I settled for soup curry (スープカリー) in Hiri Hiri, which seems to be unique to Hokkaido. It's a soupy version of the curry served with a choice of meat and several kinds of vegetables. I also ordered a bottle of Yebisu (aka Ebisu ヱビス) beer, which is one of the brands under Sapporo Breweries. Tasty soup curry and a light beer sure suit my taste and a nice end to the lovely day.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment