Short Trip to Melaka

I made a short and impromptu trip to Melaka for 3D2N after buying the bus tickets on Saturday. I departed on Sunday afternoon and arrived in Melaka somewhere after 6pm. From Melaka Sentral, I tried to ask how much it would cost for a taxi to my hotel and was a little annoyed with their rip-off price of RM25. Upon advice of a fellow bus passenger, I took the domestic bus to Chinatown.

After a short journey, I reached Chinatown and was greeted by Christ Church in drizzling weather. A fellow traveler and I were trying to get taxis to our respective hotels. After a while, we managed to get a taxi drived who quoted RM15 for a trip to my new found friend's hotel. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get another taxi for below RM20. After a bit of frustration, I decided to drag my luggage along and walk around Jonker Street (aka Chinatown).
 

I managed to buy some nonya dumplings, durian snacks and magnets along the way before settling down in a coffee shop for my dinner. The fried durian snacks tasted really good.

 
For dinner, I ordered a bowl of nonya laksa, fried dumplings and durian chendol. The laksa was fantastic but the chendol was a little underwhelming.


After walking to the end of street, I got on to a taxi to my hotel and paid RM20 for the fare. As I was tired and didn't want to get lost, I agreed to the fare since most taxis would quote at least RM20 anyway.

For day 2, I didn't want to start the day too early. After a simple breakfast, I headed out and ventured my way in search of St John's Hill and Fort. After walking quite a distance and reaching the marked place in Google Maps, it looks as if the place is a desserted hill. So, I decided to walk back to the hotel to rest for a while.

After my break, I headed out to Mahkota Parade. As I was really hungry at the time, I settled for my lunch in The Chicken Rice Shop. I had curry laksa and kueh pie tee for my lunch and they tasted great.


After lunch, I continued window shopping in the mall and also in Pahlawan Melaka Megamall next door. After all the window shopping, I had a short walk to Menara Taming Sari. I saw that the ticket price is RM20 to go up the revolving observatory. Since the queue seemed a bit long and slow moving, I decided to give it a skip and settled for foot massage by a blind masseur in the area for just RM10.


After my awesome massage, the aches and pains from Taiwan trip were all gone and I decided to tip the masseur. I then crossed the road over to Pahlawan Walk Market. In the food court next to it, I discovered some interesting looking big prawn and decided to have it as a snack. It came with assam soup and tasted great!


Next, I crossed the road over to Taman Merdeka park which is just next to a stretch of museums.


Thereafter, I walked up the hill to the ruins of St Paul's Church. The view from up the hill was pretty too.


From up the hill, I walked down towards Chinatown. Along the way, I passed by The Stadthuys which was under renovation. Upon descending the hill, I took a short break in front of the Christ Church.


After my break, I headed to Chinatown.


I tried to look for a peranakan restaurant to have my dinner and didn't have much luck. I settled for my dinner in an interesting Portuguese bistrot that serves peranakan-influenced food. I deduced the peranakan influence due to the presence of many curry, assam and spicy dishes. I ordered assam prawns, otak otak, Gula Melaka chickens and a glass of red wine. Midway through my lunch, I had to ask for a glass of iced water to extinguish the spices. But I still enjoyed my meal very much.


After dinner, I continued strolling along Jonker Street. I was a little surprised to find that the street is quite quiet. So I guess the night market is only open on weekends to target tourists. I passed by a dessert shop and decided to have durian chendol again. Fortunately, durian chendol at this shop tasted much better than the day before.


After my dessert, I took a rickshaw tour around town. After my tour, I requested the rider to fetch me back to hotel for an additional fee.


Day 3 is my last day and I had a 1pm bus to catch to return to Singapore. After checking out, I was hoping to find Restoran Nyonya Makko as recommended in Tripadvisor. Unfortunately, I found out that they only open at 11:30pm for lunch and that felt quite rush. Along the way there, I stumbled upon Banya restaurant which serves peranakan food as well. I had Ayam Pong Teh and Chap Chye for lunch. I also ordered a bowl of chendol for my dessert. Ayam Pong Teh was definitely fabulous but I felt the other 2 items were just so so.

 
 

After my meal, I crossed the street to a nonya shop to shop for some goodies. After some shopping, I took the taxi to Melaka Sentral and took the bus back to Singapore.

More photos here.

No comments:

Post a Comment