Day 17 [23-Oct]: Venice

Decided to start my day late at around 10am as I do not have any plans for the morning. I walked around in the other areas I did not explore the day before and headed in the direction of St Mark's Square (Piazza di San Marco).

Just 2 shop spaces next to my hotel, I discovered there is a souvenir shop that actually sells souvenirs at better prices than most other places in Venice.

On my way to St Mark's Square, I also bought a couple of souvenirs for gifts. I also bought a cool looking watch with brand name called TOO LATE (http://www.too2late.com). As you may have guessed, it's yellow in color and costs €29.

For lunch, I settled for a set menu in a restaurant inside St Mark's Square. For first course, I ordered spaghetti with prawns and mushrooms. For second course I had cuttlefish with black ink sauce. And to finish off the good meal, I had a nice cup of cappuccino.

 


After lunch, I hanged around St Mark's Square until it was time for my island tour. The island tour starts at 2:30pm and includes trips to Murano, Torcello and Burano.

After about 20 mins of ferry ride, we reached Murano, the islands of glass making. We were led into a little factory where the 2 craftsmen demonstrated how they create decorations with the glass. There was also a short introduction to glass making and the guide explained that glass powder is mixed with minerals to give the colors. After the short demonstration, we proceeded to their shop. The shop is filled with all kinds of beautiful glass wares, from jewellery to photo frames, plates, clocks, decorations, chandeliers, and more. I've noted that similar sized photo frames can have different prices. That's probably due to the fact that certain designs need alot more effort to create. I left the shop after buying a nice pendant and a photo frame.

 


For the next part of the tour, we were brought to Torcello. The tour guide explained that this island is the historic centre, where the first settlements of Venice started. However, it would seem quite boring for tourists as this island is quite empty. It was about 10 mins walk to the historic centre and there is a museum and a church there. Along the way, there are a few restaurants and also some souvenir kiosks.

 

For the last part, we visited Burano, the firshermen's village and island of lace making. After landing, we were brought to a small lace shop where an old lady was knitting. There was a short introduction and we were amazed that each person is responsible for one knitting style. For a small piece of cloth that the guide showed us, it takes 4 people to complete it.

 
 

 After a quick walk around the lace shop, I ventured my way around the island and took photos of the beautifully painted houses. I particularly liked the ones that are painted yellow though.

 
 
After boarding the ferry, we had a 40 min ride back to the main islands of Venice. Along the way, we had a glimpse of the pretty sunset at around 6pm. We reached back in St Mark's Square at around 6:30pm.
After the long day, I had a slow walk back to the hotel. Along the way, I stopped by a restaurant called Ristorante Al Gazebo for dinner. I ordered marinated sardines as my appetizer and spaghetti vongole for my main course. After dinner, I headed back to hotel for the day's rest.

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment